Smoothies have been my go-to breakfast for a couple of years now and I’ve had a lot of fun experimenting with different ingredients. I think smoothies are a good way to easily start incorporating more vitamins and minerals into your diet and transitioning into healthier eating habits. It’s great for digestion, heart health, muscle recovery, and as an added bonus: this is great for promoting healthy skin too. The recipe below is my most recent go-to:
- 1 medium banana
- 2 cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- Handful of baby spinach
- Handful of kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 small apple (I like Granny Smiths and galas)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed meal
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
Mix all ingredients in a high-speed blender and enjoy.
Other add-ons to try:
- Add chia seeds or raw oats to make the smoothie even more filling
- Substitute the banana for an avocado for a creamier smoothie
- If you want more sweetness, add a teaspoon of raw honey or sprinkle on some cacao nibs
- To up the nutrient intake even more, add a teaspoon of bee pollen granules (keep in mind that anyone with a sensitivity/allergy to pollen or bee stings should consult a doctor first before incorporating bee pollen into their diet).
What are some of your favorite smoothie recipes?